Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Monday, I mean Tuesday Made-It Week 1

I know I'm a day late but I am linking up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics  to show off my summer creations.
Monday Made It #1
I love to walk around my classroom and help students throughout the day so I am NEVER, NEVER at my desk. I don't know why I just don't take my desk out of my classroom but I guess I need a place to store my plans for the week and my "good computer". 
Anyway, I wanted something to sit on when I am just in the front of the classroom because these poor feet hurt sometimes. I thought the kids could use this stool too if they are in charge of indoor recess or are sharing something with the class. I searched stores and stools were $30 and $40 bucks. No thanks! Instead, I found a $5 gem on Craigslist. By gem, I mean scratched, smoke smelling, gross stool!

Here are the steps I took to make my ladybug stool:

1. After cleaning with pine-sol 3 times, I let this stool sit in my garage for 2 weeks to get the smoke smell out of the wood.2. Sand the stool to get all the scratches and grooves out of the wood grain.3. Wipe off the stool again with pine-sol to get the wood clean from sanding. 4. Spray painted the entire stool black, which took 2 coats. Allow to dry at least a day.5. (For this part, I turned the stool upside down so I could access the legs better) I started with red polka dots and just painted circles all over the stool wherever I thought they looked nice. Repeat with white or whatever color you want. I used the cheapo tubes of acrylic paint you can get at any craft store.

6. Flip the stool over and paint a red circle on the stool. Allow to dry and add other accents/dots/designs. Again, I used the acrylic paint.

7. Spray stool a Clear Gloss spray paint to give it a shine. I wanted my stool really shiny because my spray paint was not shiny so I did 2 coats of the Clear Gloss.

8. Voila, a cheap $10 max stool for my classroom. 

 


Check back next week for my next Monday Made-It. Hint....it's going to have to do with the letters R E A D! 

Head on over to 4th Grade Frolics for some other great summer projects you can create for your classroom or your home!

post signature