Tuesday, May 7, 2013

No Guffs in the Ladybug Club

Are you a beginning in the Whole Brain Teaching World? I'm not a beginner anymore but I am NO Expert! Let's say I'm working on becoming an advanced beginner. I have successfully implemented the scoreboard, the classroom rules, mirror with words, mirror without words, students teaching with mirrors, class-yes, teach-ok and switch! Wow, that's a lot to implement in just 4 1/2 months! Ten Finger Woo!

Now, I have been thinking for a while what in the world is a Guff? I had no clue until I did further research via the Whole Brain Teaching Website. I was unsure whether or not the Guff component of the scoreboard was something that I should implement but boy was I wrong! 

Here's what happened to me yesterday...
I was bringing my class back from lunch and I heard one of my boys clicking his mouth all the way down the hallway. When the students got back to my room, I pulled the student aside. I got the response, "I wasn't clicking!" Ding, Ding, Ding! It hit me to introduce the Guff component of the scoreboard! I followed what I had read on the WBT website:

Mrs. Harrell: "Thank you buddy! Because "Billy" just mentioned this to me, I am going to introduce a component of the scoreboard that we have not learned about." 
Class: (Was very excited and confused...their little faces were shocked when I told them they were going to learn more things about the scoreboard)

I furthered my explanation and told the class that I'm putting the Guff component of the scoreboard under the smile/frown portion.  I had "Billy" come up to the front of the class and repeat what he just said to me so the whole class could hear. I repeated what he said, "I wasn't clicking" and held up my fingers as I counted...3 fingers! I told the class that this is called a GUFF.(2nd graders had trouble saying this at first and wanted to say GULF! Too Cute!)  

I marked 3 marks under the GUFF portion of the scoreboard on my side. My poor class was so mad and amazed they could get multiple negative points at one time! We furthered our discussion and they asked, "Isn't there anything we can do!" It's wonderful how students lead you into what you want to teach anyways. So we discussed the only way to stop a GUFF point for me is to listen closely always and if they hear me say, "That sounds like a GUFF", they must stick their hands out and beg me by saying, "PLEASE STOP!"

Later in the day yesterday, another child came up to me crying her eyes out because a student called her ugly. I did hear the child say this so again, I pulled up the other student "Susie" and asked her what happened. She said, "I did not!" Oh boy..here we go! I stood up and said, "That sounded like a GUFF!" and immediately my entire class turned, looked at me, and said, "No! No! Please stop!" I walked up and gave them a positive point on the scoreboard. 

To beat it all, two of my students shouted out, "Wow! Guff really does work! Good job Mrs. Harrell!" Guff is just another great component of Whole Brain Teaching. If you have implemented GUFF into your classroom, I am curious to know other ways that you use it. Can you comment below please to help me become a better GUFF keeper? Thanks and Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!


To learn more about Guff, please watch Coach's webcast which really explains how to introduce and implement the Guff Counter onto your scoreboard.