Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hands and Eyes Really Works

How many of you used to get your classes attention by doing hand clapping patterns or 1, 2, 3, Eyes on Me? I am guilty of doing this strategies and I thought they worked but boy was I wrong. After beginning my WBT journey, I have completely changed my teaching strategy. Now, if I want to get my classes attention, all I have to say is "Class" and they will respond with "Yes". To help further this learning, Coach B has created Hands and Eyes. This is the fifth step in the Big 7 strategies of WBT which is used as a major focuser. Here is how hands and eyes works:

Teacher: "Classity Class Class"
Class: "Yessity Yes Yes"
Teacher: clasping her hands together says "Hands and Eyes"
Class: crossing their hands and looking at the teacher says "Hands and Eyes"
Now the teacher can make a big point to the class. Coach B recommends using Hands and Eyes as a way of introducing the objective for the day. But...it must be short. For example:

Teacher: "Today, we are going to learn about nouns." Clap, Clap, "Teach"
Class: Clap, Clap, "Okay". With their partner, they will turn and tell talk about what the teacher just said, that today we are going to learn about nouns.

So instead of a teacher standing up front and trying to put emphasis on what is important for the day, he/she can just say Hands and Eyes and then the class will be able to listen closely to the big point and repeat it to their partner. Effective teaching? I think so!

If you would like to find out more information about Hands and Eyes, please visit the WBT website at  http://www.wholebrainteaching.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=166&Itemid=126

Want more help? Watch Coach's Webcast above which really helped explain how Hands and Eyes can focus all classes!